Since it was first made available to consumers in 2013, the PlayStation 4 has consistently been among the top video game consoles in terms of sales. It is not difficult to see why, considering the console’s streamlined appearance, powerful technology, and extensive game catalog. If you are a true fan, there is no way you would ever want to miss out on the excitement. But what if the Wi-Fi in your house isn’t as good as it might be? Or maybe you want to take your PS4 gaming on the road with you? How can you connect your PS4 with the mobile hotspot? Actually, it’s not quite as difficult as you would imagine.
There are just two easy steps required to connect your PlayStation 4 to the hotspot. First, activate a mobile hotspot on your smartphone and make sure that your PlayStation 4 can see it. The next step is to connect your PS4‘s Wi-Fi to the hotspot, at which point you will be prompted to enter your password. This is functional on mobile devices running either iOS or Android.
A connection over Ethernet is always preferred by gamers due to the reliability and speed it provides. However, because of its portability and flexibility, a hotspot connection will be your savior in this situation. It is a wireless connection, very similar to Wi-Fi, except rather than using a router, you establish it with your mobile phone’s cellular data. You will thus just need a PlayStation 4, a connection to a mobile hotspot, and an active data plan on your phone. Creating a connection to a hotspot and attaching the PlayStation 4 to the device are covered in detail in the following instructions.
How Do I Connect My PS4 to a Hotspot?
In most cases, we construct a hotspot connection with the help of a mobile phone’s data network (4G or 5G), which then serves as an accessible WiFi connection to other devices.
Therefore, in order to link your PlayStation 4 (PS4) with the data on your phone, you will first need to create a hotspot on your phone, and then you will need to let the PS4 to connect to the WiFi network of the newly formed hotspot on your phone.
Due to the fact that gaming consoles may consume a significant amount of data, it is obviously preferable to connect a PS4 to a standard 5GHz or 2.4GHz WiFi network whenever it is possible to do so.
Creating a mobile hotspot is a rather straightforward process. You just need to make a few taps on the screen of your smartphone in order to get the hotspot up and running.
iPhone users can follow these steps:
- Go to ‘Settings’ and touch on Mobile Data.
- Tap on Personal Hotspot.
- Toggle the switch to ON.
- Set a password to encrypt your hotspot.
- By default, your hotspot is named after your iPhone’s model. You may either maintain it or alter it under the ‘About’ section of your device’s general configuration.
After you have established a hotspot, check to see that it does not limit access to certain types of devices. To verify this, go to the ‘Setting’ menu on your smartphone and then press on the ‘Wireless and Network’ option. You should notice something that says “Tethering and hotspot” there; click on it. Check to see whether the box labeled “Allowed device only” is ticked now. Uncheck the box if it is already ticked, or manually add your PS4 under the heading that says ‘Manually add a device.’
Android users can follow these steps:
- Activate your device’s mobile data.
- Go to the menu that drops down and tap on “Mobile Hotspot” for around two to three seconds.
- Toggle the switch in the new window so that it reads “On.”
- You’ll find the opportunity to update your username and password just below the toggle button in case you decide you wish to do so.
- To access the supplementary configuration options, choose “Configure Mobile Hotspot” from the menu that appears when you tap the setting icon located in the upper right corner of the screen.
- You have the ability to adjust the visibility of your device in this section. Make sure that it is configured to be visible so that your PS4 will be able to locate it and connect to it.
- Now, configure your PlayStation 4 (PS4) so that it can connect to the hotspot.
Following the procedures outlined above, your mobile hotspot should now be ready for usage. It is now time to connect your PlayStation 4 (PS4) to the wireless hotspot:
- Simply power up your PlayStation 4 and go to the Settings menu in order to connect it to a mobile hotspot.
- Choose the “Network” option, and then click the “Set up internet connection” button.
- From that point on, choose ‘Use Wi-Fi,’ and after that, ‘Easy.’ After that, the PS4 will search for a free hotspot to connect to.
- To connect your PlayStation 4 to the mobile hotspot, choose the connection that you have already set up, and then enter the password that you chose earlier.
As long as your PS4 is within the range of your hotspot, it should be able to establish a reliable connection. That’s all you need to do. Your PS4 is now linked to the hotspot, and it will utilize the mobile data connection to play PS4 games.
However, here we must emphasize that the PS4 consumes a lot of data, so if you have a data capped plan, it’ll definitely fill up your limit in no time.
You may also use this strategy with PS3 consoles, Wii U, and other devices that enable Wi-Fi connections.
How Can I Link My Phone to My PS4?
When it comes to networking, Sony has always been many steps ahead of the competition. You may now immediately connect your devices to the PS4 console via the PlayStation app, which is compatible with iOS and Android smartphones. This feature is available with the PS4, as well as subsequent versions of the PlayStation. With this software, you’ll be able to operate your PS4 PlayStation Account and browse all of the games right from the screen of your phone.
- To begin the process of connecting your phone to your PlayStation 4, download the PlayStation app from the app store on your device. Open the app after it has been successfully installed, and then login in to your PlayStation account. If you don’t already have one, you should go ahead and make a new one.
- Choose ‘Connect to PS4’ from the main menu of the app at this time.
- Provide the app the permission to access the data and location of your smartphone.
- Your app will do a scan to locate the PS4 that is associated with your account; after it is located, you will see an area to enter a code.
- Now, power up your PlayStation 4 console, go to the ‘Setting’ menu, and choose the ‘PlayStation App Connection’ option. You’ll notice an option there to add a device; click on it when you get there. You will be given the code as a result of using it.
- Enter this code into the app that’s running on your phone, and then tap the “Ok” button. You have successfully connected to your PS4 system.
With this connection, you are able to stream PS4 games on your phone, message or chat with your PSN buddies, explore the game library, purchase new games, and engage in all of the other entertaining activities that you would normally do on your console. If you follow these instructions, you will be able to connect up to sixteen different devices to a single PS4.
Why Won’t My PS4 Connect to a Hotspot?
If you have completed each step as instructed, but your PlayStation 4 is still unable to connect to the internet, there may be an issue with the wireless network or hotspot that you are using. Now that we’ve identified the potential problems, let’s troubleshoot them.
Your PlayStation 4 is not within the allowed range: You should make an effort to go closer to the hotspot device; the majority of devices have a maximum range of somewhere between 15 and 20 meters (50-65 feet). Remember that there is a possibility that the signal strength may decrease if there are any walls or other impediments in the way.
Your mobile device does not have an active internet connection: Verify that your mobile data and hotspot settings are both active on your mobile device. If you don’t have an internet connection on your phone, your linked PlayStation 4 won’t either.
The PlayStation 4 is forbidden by the Hotspot Security system. Make sure that the settings for your hotspot’s security can accommodate your PlayStation 4 by checking them out. The procedure was already broken out for you up top.
You’ve used all of the data in the package: The data plan on your phone is used to power Hotspot. If you have hit the data limit for the month, it indicates that your phone is no longer linked to the internet, which also implies that your PlayStation 4 will not have an online connection.
Problems of this kind may sometimes be caused by little disruptions in the network connection. To begin, disconnect both of your devices from your hotspot and then reconnect them. If the problem still persists, you should next try rebooting both your PlayStation 4 and your mobile phone.
Additionally, you should attempt to connect your phone to other devices that may create a hotspot, such as laptops or desktop computers. You will be able to determine from this if the issue is with a specific hotspot device or with your PlayStation 4 itself. You may get in touch with PlayStation support for any additional help you need.
Can I Use My PS4 as a Hotspot?
There are a lot of individuals who are unaware of the secret option that allows their PlayStation 4 to function as a hotspot. This enables you to utilize your PlayStation 4 (PS4) to allow access to gaming on other devices that use Wi-Fi. It comes in helpful in situations when there is no other Wi-Fi connection nearby or when you do not have a device that can act as a hotspot to play a game that requires many players.
It is important to note, however, that the connected devices to which this hotspot function is enabled will not have access to the internet; rather, it will only be used for streaming games and playing them remotely through Wi-Fi.
- To utilize a PS4 hotspot, go to the ‘Settings’ menu on your PS4 and choose ‘Wi-Fi Hotspot.’
- Click ‘Yes’ on the popup window.
- Click ‘Yes’ again on the next window to launch the hotspot.
- The Wi-Fi hotspot will now switch on and be visible to compatible devices.
In order to connect your phone to the PS4 hotspot, enter the Wi-Fi menu found inside the settings of your phone and locate the name of the PS4 hotspot. After that, you should click on it to connect. It is not necessary to enter a password since the PlayStation 4 hotspot connection does not need one because it can only be used for remote play.
Using a PS4 as a hotspot, you can now access your online games and play or stream them on your smartphone. It is important to keep in mind, however, that the PS4 hotspot is not as powerful as the hotspots on other devices, and that the signal strength is at its peak between 5 and 10 feet away from your console.
Since utilizing the PS4’s network settings while playing games uses a significant amount of data, the majority of us choose to utilize a Wi-Fi connection rather than our mobile data when we can. On the other hand, you may easily connect your PS4 to mobile connection if you either have a plan that gives you limitless bandwidth or you just don’t mind using mobile data for gaming.
Just make sure you don’t go over the allotted amount of data for the month. Keep an eye on the percentage of battery life remaining on your phone, since the hotspot will use more power from the battery than normal.
We hope that you were able to connect your PS4 to a hotspot with the aid of this instruction. You may consult the articles we have written on related subjects if you have any more questions about your PlayStation or if you are unsure as to which kind of Wi-Fi router is most suited for gaming. Enjoy your gaming in the meanwhile!